Swipe left or right to view images.

A Little History

The founder John McMeekin was a tall handsome man, courteous and full of interest for anything and everything, music, art, sport and any kind of job well done. He was well known within the local community for being a local publican, he formed the first Quoits club in the area, he also made his own furniture and was an excellent landscape painter in oils and watercolour.

The opening of The Vale of Leven Golf Club was on April 6th 1907, whereupon Mrs Crum-Ewing was asked to hit the first shot over a 9 hole golf course on leased ground from the Crum-Ewing family. The clubhouse at this time was an old railway carriage which was transported from the local station by horse and cart and was situated at the foot of the Umbrella Woods where the green keepers' shed now stands.

On 25th September 1909 a meeting to discuss the amalgamation with Jamestown Golf Club took place and this extended the course from 9 to 18 holes. This new 18 hole course was opened in June 1911. The Course could be described of being park and heath land, which overlooks the southern tip of Loch Lomond. The view from the 17th (The Ben) with its variety of woodland, moor, pasture, loch, glen and everlasting hills can truly be described as breathtaking. The course remained 18 holes until the Second World War when the 6th, 7th, and 8th holes were ploughed to help the war effort, thereafter the course reverted to 18 holes.

In 1950 the course was put up for sale by Crum Ewing Estates and the club was successful in its purchase which proved to be a good investment and by 1952 the course was purchased for the sum of £1500, freeing the membership from the millstone of a yearly lease. This was a significant step in the history of the club and one that we owe great deal to the foresight of the committee at that time.

A few years later the club purchased a disused clubhouse from Helensburgh Golf Club and this was also transported by horse and cart and situated where the Lomond Lounge and locker room now stand. This clubhouse lasted many years until the cost of repairs became excessive and it was decided to build a new clubhouse and this was built in two phases. Phase one was built and furnished for the sum of £10,000 and opened in January 1970.

Phase two, consisting of the demolition of the old clubhouse, building the function and locker room etc and this opened in 1976 and cost £28,000 fully furnished. The club is very proud of the fact that members built both phases by voluntary labour and a great sense of achievement was felt by all involved.Presently, the club has undergone another major renovation, in way of our new extension to the clubhouse building. The new build now hosts our Gents, Ladies, Veterans and Junior locker rooms augmented by the refurbishing of our old locker rooms. This has given the club the ability to provide a locker to every member joining the Golf Club.

Many changes have taken place over the years with several new greens, tees, bunkers, watering system etc all being completed. The improvement to the course is on-going. And it is with great pride we can look at our club and thank the committee, the green keeping staff, the house staff and members.

Our images show our 2021 Thomson McCrone winning team, the 3rd hole and 2021 Ladies Club Champion Mary Mackle with her final opponent Helen MacDonald